Saturday, July 15, 2006

Glory Seekers

During the World Cup (which has just ended six days ago), I noticed the existence of seasonal football supporters. These people weren’t even remotely interested in football, but out of nowhere they suddenly showed their huge interest towards the sport. Huge is the imperative here.

They declared their undying admiration towards a certain team, usually the high-profiled team with famous names in it, while in reality they didn’t actually affiliate themselves with any of them. By the time that team lost, they picked another team to support. In the end, it’s the winner that they had supported all along.

There are a lot of names attributed to this kind of people. Glory seekers, glory hunters, plastics; you name it! None of them are flattering, though.

On a more general notion, glory seekers are the people who constantly feel the need to be hip and cool. The always keep their eyes on what’s “in” and what’s not. They consider not following the latest on-goings as a sin.

I know I shouldn’t waste my precious time despising them. Besides, if they want to be a bunch of glory seekers, it’s their right to do so. But I just can’t.

I suspect that these people do what they do out of their insecurity. They think that they have to be like anybody else to get accepted. Or probably they do it because their life is so boring they have to seek excitement somewhere out of their life.

I guess there are a lot of other reasons why these glory seekers do what they do. Nevertheless, I’m sure any of them would be as equally as pitiful. Seeing their miserable existence, can I bring myself to sympathize with them? Well, not really. They still bug me to no end. Ha!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.