Friday, October 24, 2008

Things I've Just Learned

So, I've just come home from volunteering for an event in Bali, and these are the things I've learned from that experience:

1) I'm still a long way from becoming an "adult"
As I see it, an adult is one who can keep his/her composure all the times, capable of maintaining his/her ground without worrying about what people might say about it, and has the ability to communicate smoothly with virtually anyone. And unfortunately, I'm still lacking in those three. Maybe I'll have more of them as I get older, who knows? Only time will tell....

2) Working intensely with the same set of people for a lengthy period of time is emotionally tiring
I only had one purpose for coming to Bali: volunteering. Thus, in addition to working eight to six for nearly a week, "volunteering" constantly dominated my thought, even when I was off duty. Therefore, the tension lingered and I often found myself wondering about some people's inadequacy at doing their job, outside working hours. (And I think some people might feel the same way about me.)

3) Do the things you do whole-heartedly because otherwise it sucks
It's annoying, seeing people who were clearly more into taking a vacation rather than volunteering, because such people tended to not taking their job seriously. And what's more exasperating than watching people dilly-dallying around while you're working your ass off? (Pardon my choice of words.) The point is, if you're not set for doing something, you'd better not do it in the first place because it's pointless.

4) Jerks are jerks, no matter what their nationalities are
Degrading as it is, it is widely believed that Indonesians are lazy and just can't do their job well, and the opposite is applied to Westerners. Tell you what, anyone who believes it is a moron, because laziness and irresponsibility has nothing to do with where you're from.

0 comments: