Thursday, March 12, 2009

On Writing

A good writer can write about virtually everything, or so it says. That pretty much explains why I can't write about most of everything. Beep, incorrect induction! But hell, the point is my writing sucks.

I know quite a lot of people who aspire to be a writer. They've dreamed about it ever since they're just little kids and they've spent a lifetime to nurture their skill to perfection. Interestingly, I used to write a lot, mostly horrors. It's kinda creepy when you think about it now, a nine year old writing about people being killed and then having their meat used as the main ingredient of a particularly tasty food, or about malevolent spirits coming to haunt a bunch of insolent campers. Anyway, I stopped writing upon entering junior high, so I didn't get a chance to nurture my "skill" like all those people.

Actually, I have what it takes to be a good writer. I ramble all the time (my poor family and friends know this very well). That's what writers do, don't they? They ramble about various topics. The problem is, readers would expect structures, plot, an idea neatly packaged in the form of narration. Not incessant babbling about random stuff, which is the best that I can offer.

Once upon a time in Writing class (which was curiously named "Journalism of Science"), the teacher told us about the importance of seizing the mood to write. Meaning, you have to force yourself to write something, anything, instead of waiting for the right moment or divine intervention saying, "Lo and behold, mortal! I've got this brilliant idea for you. Write it down, will ya?" He told us that writing about anything that came up to mind at any given time would be a good idea as to improve one's writing, if it's done constantly.

Oh, sure. No problemo. But after some time practicing this, when you're given the word "house", people would certainly want a story about some house instead of this incoherent account: "I've been living in the same house I've lived in since birth. It's located in a quiet neighborhood where everybody knows everybody. Some people have moved on, though. And so have their pets. To the other world, I mean. This family living near my house currently got themselves a new dog. I never really have problems with dogs, apart from being bitten several times by members of their kin. However, this dog bugs me to no end. It barks all night long. Thanks for making me awake in the middle of the night, doggie. It's not like I have a United live match to watch every night. I don't mind if there's one, though. It's my favorite club, Manchester United."

See, I jump from a "house" to "Manchester United" in a single paragraph. No structure whatsoever. Such way of writing is what I'm most comfortable with. In other words, as far as writing goes, I'm in big trouble.

Note: I'm tagging you because I want you to have a good laugh. So please. Hahaha.

0 comments: