Saturday, March 18, 2006

Wonderful World of Fictions

After months of waiting, the 6th book of the Harry Potter series ”Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince” has finally been released. While most Potter fans around the globe will soon find out what happen to the Wizarding World (in general) and Harry (in particular), I’m sad to tell you that I’m not one of them. I’m not saying that I’m not a Potter fan. On the contrary, I’m crazy about the book. I visit Harry Potter fansite almost everyday, I believed some of the most unbelievable theories surrounding the story (including the theory that Snape was actually Lily Potter’s brother, but of course I found out later that it’s not true), I read Harry Potter fanfictions, I discussed the book with fellow fans those just a few prooves that I’m really a Potter fan. The problem is, the price of the book. It is quite expensive in rupiah (the currency used here in Indonesia). If we order the book before its release, it costs 225,000 rupiah (about US $ 22.5). And I’ll tell you, twenty-two dollars is a lot of money for most people who live in a third world country like me (with that amount of money, you can buy 90 l of gasoline). Considering the fact, I decided to wait until the book is released in Indonesian edition because the price would be much cheaper then. But I’m not going to talk about the economic injustice in developing countries or something like that (I think everybody would’ve got the clear picture about the issue anyway). What I would like to write at this moment is fictional stories or fictions, and why I like them so much.

I guess most of you would’ve assumed that there’s no point in explaining the beauty of fictions since all of us like it anyway. Well, you’re wrong! Actually, I myself used to think that everyone like fictions. That is, until a friend of mine was startled when I told him that Harry Potter is one of my favorite book. “Never really like fictional stories,” he said. I wouldn’t blame him for that. He wants to be an entrepreneur and the books he read is somewhat ranging around management (“Rich Dad Poor Dad” and things similar to that) and personal development (“Seven Habits of Highly Effective People” and it’s kind). What amazes me that he NEVER REALLY FICTIONAL STORIES. How could he? I mean, there are lots of reasons to fall in love with fictions.

First of all, fictions can take you to places you’ve never been before and even places which only exist in our imagination. I’ve never gone abroad , but after reading “The Da Vinci Code” I could’ve sworn that I’ve been in France, visited the Louvre, and seen some of the greatest artwork in the world . I could hear monks who talked in Latin and saw them walking along the hallway inside a 14th century monastery in Italy (thanks to Umberto Eco’s “The Name of the Rose”). And I couldn’t imagine there’s a structure more amazing than Hogwarts Castle. Just think of it. You can travel around the world (and beyond) with relatively small amount of money or even no money at all. I always wish to be able to travel around the world, but with limited cash I am satisfied enough just to imagine it. Thanks to the fictions, of course.

One of the thing that people often don’t realize about fictions is that they tell you about real life issue. People often think that because it’s fiction, the story is not real thus not important. That’s probably why people underestimate fictions most of the times. I don’t know why they think that way because whether it’s a Nobel prize winner book or a folklore, most fictions always have something more than meets the eye. Even the most typical teenage drama have a certain message (the message usually is that being popular isn’t everything and being one isn’t going to guarantee any success later in our life) in it.

Another great thing about fictions is that they inspire you and make you a better person. I was obsessed with dinosaurs and even wanted to become a paleontologist after watching “Jurassic Park” twelve years ago (I dind’t even know what a paleontologist was before I watched the movie). Fictions can cause such a great effect on people. And I’ve heard lots of stories about people who suddenly changed their course of their wrecked life after watching certain movies or reading certain books. It shows how inspiring a fiction can be.

Fictions give you information about all kind of stuff. Sometimes it’s important and sometimes it’s not, but they are still worthy to know. For example, I found out that body heat is mostly released from the head---from a storybook I read when I was still at elementary school. Or that teriyaki is a Japanese modification of beef stew (which was introduced to the Japanese by the Westerns). Who knows if someday I’ll participate in TV game show and those sorts of useless information will be asked? It can determine whether I’ll become a millionaire or return home empty-handed.

Those are just few reasons that I can think about. Visiting those wonderful world of fictions, I dare not to imagine how my life would be without them. It would be more lame than it already is, I’m sure about it.

0 comments: