Friday, June 02, 2006

The Muse

“Where you did get the idea?”. That question seems to pop up every time an interview with famous writers, musicians, or whatever, is held. I may not be a writer (to self-proclaim myself as one would be an overstatement), but as a person who enjoys occasional writing, I know that ideas can be found literally anywhere and anytime. So, it can be rather difficult to find the precise answer to that question.

I never really have problems with finding ideas. There are a lot of things to write about; you can never run out of stock. The only problem is, of course, how to put the ideas into paper. Most of the times, I know exactly how to begin and end an essay or story (although I never write any of my stories; I just keep them in my head). The difficulty always lies in the process of getting the essay (or story) from its’ beginning to its’ end.

Apparently, it’s a classic writer’s problem. I came into various lines from writers, stating that they know how a certain story would end but they’re still thinking how they would bring it to an end. In the case of essay writing, making sure that I’ve mentioned all the important things (without blabbing too much ;>) in order to show my point to the reader is the biggest challenge.

Whenever I came to a deadlock, the solution was quite simple. I would try to find books or any other sources related to the topic which I was trying to write about. Another approach was leaving the subject temporarily and starting on another one (like I said, there are always lots of things to contemplate about). Nevertheless, the most practiced approach in encountering a deadlock, in my case, would be: sit back, relax, and forget the whole idea. That is, until I had some spare time, like when I was on my way to school, when I was on a queue in a cinema, when I was impatiently waiting for a friend, etc. Mind you, the best inspiration often came in the most unexpected time. Ah, the beauty of divine intervention!

By the way, I think writing an essay is far easier than writing a fictional story. It takes a whole lot of imagination, as well as logic, to write such things. Fictional stories need the perfect combination of both things, imagination and logic, which is quite difficult to formulate. For me, it’s either logic with the lack of imagination or wild imagination that doesn’t make sense at all (“sigh”). So, I understand how hard it must be to write fictional stories and for that, I greatly admire them, fiction writers.

Well, I just hope that Ms. Rowling doesn’t have trouble finding her muse so that she’ll be able to finish the 7th Harry Potter book as soon as possible. Cheers!

0 comments: