Monday, October 02, 2006

Drifted Apart

Some time ago, I “met” an old friend from junior high on the net. She was one of just a few friends that I had, so it was great to finally find her after seven years of separation. Soon after the encounter, we planned a chat on Yahoo!Messenger to catch up with each other. This friend of mine was a kind and considerate person who always mingled with everyone, including a teenage reject like myself, but we hadn’t been THAT close to begin with. Despite that, we could always find a thing or two to talk about most of the time. So, when I realized that the “connection” we once had was gone the time we finally chatted, I couldn’t help feeling sad. I realized that we’d been drifted apart and I knew she realized it too.

It’s always sad when you have to separate from friends after so many things you’ve been together. But the realization that things will be different the next time you meet again is more heartbreaking. Each and every one of us will walk different paths in life. We’ll meet new people, encounter various experiences, put forth new priorities in life; in short, everyone changes.

Call me gloomy, but I’m only being rational here. That time with my friend just one of many examples, showing the inevitability of our drifting apart from those we once considered as friends. The next time you meet again, you may not find the same “connection” as it was. Despite that, it’s worthy to keep in mind that all the moments you’d shared with them were real (God, I sounded like Kinomoto Touya, didn’t I?). And the memory of those moments my friend; it sure is priceless.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah,....
I have a lot of that kind of experience with most of my old friends. It's kinda sad, actually but there's nothing I can do. After a long separation, we don't have any exciting topic to talk to, except the memory which most of them had flown away. So the condition is lack of conversation topic.Especially when it happen to a person like me who never know how to make a conversation become so thrilling or exhilarating.What happen next is a dry chat.And someone that used to be my friend become,....mmmm let say a 'stranger' for me. And now, I feel afraid that I will lost my friends again with such condition. Cos after graduated, having own activity, less and lesser communication, then,..... I can't continue my words. Well, Reni, I wish we will not ever drifted apart. So, keep in touch with me. May be, if there is any time we have to meet like we always meet every saturday (Belajar Bareng)-- but without 'belajar' for now hehehhe.