Tuesday, July 10, 2007

On a High

I don’t drink coffee. I don’t smoke pot. I don’t use drugs. So why does it have to come to this?

It began a few days ago when, unexpectedly, I received good news by e-mail (concerning a chance to do something that I like very much; not to mention getting paid for it). Needless to say, I was excited and looking forward to its fulfillment.

In days to come following my receiving the news however, I started having problem concentrating at night. It’s not like I can’t concentrate at all, it’s just I can’t keep my mind fixed at one thing for more than, say, ten minutes. Considering that I’m a night person--do things that require intense concentration in lengthy period like reading or writing better at night than in the morning/afternoon--it is truly a big deal for me. As if that’s not bad enough, trying to sleep at night becomes difficult too--I just can’t relax and tell my mind to rest.

It felt exactly like the time when I drank coffee (which is something I seldom do, by the way). I’m being too pumped up, yet it’s useless because I couldn’t channel that extra energy to focus on doing something productive. I presume that using drugs would have the same effect, hence the comparison on the opening line.

There’s nothing wrong with getting high, but if you can get nothing out of it, what’s the use of it anyway?

0 comments: