Monday, September 10, 2007

The Departure of Ole and My Childhood

Receiving the news that Ole Gunnar Solskjaer finally decided to retire was definitely one of my saddest moments as a Manchester United supporter. In a club like United, players come and go all the times, but when the one’s going is someone who has given us amazing performance and devotion all the way, well, it’s like parting with a good friend.

Yet, I know that’s more to my grief in relation to Ole’s departure than just his excellent years in United. I’ve witnessed United legends--Denis Irwin and Roy Keane, for example--left the club before, but it wasn’t as sad as this.

I started to truly love United in the mid ‘90s, so naturally, the first players that I relate with United over the years are Class of ’92 (then, the rising stars of English football) and those who came to the club during that period. There are lots of players that fall into the second category, but Ole’s the one who spends the most time with United amongst them all. Not to mention the only one who receives legend status.

You can basically say that I’ve watched Ole play for United growing up. As long as he’s still in the club, it feels like I can still relate myself with my childhood. Now that he quits football, I lose one of that “connections”. Maybe that’s why Ole’s retirement struck me so much.

Putting my personal dilemma aside, I sincerely wish Ole well, whatever he chooses to do after this. 20LEGEND will live forever!

0 comments: