Friday, September 05, 2008

Thank God for the Reruns

Ever since I learned the joy of watching football, the English Premier League in particular, I'd been indulged with top quality matches, served for free before me. In other words, instead of having to pay for cable to watch them, like so many did in other countries, I got to see them as long as I had a TV set. No decoder or receiver or monthly fee.

However, the it's-all-for-free ended this season (it was last season actually, but then because of all the protesting, we got to see some matches, despite most of them being Middlesborough's for who knows what reason) and I was left in the state of despair. Seriously! Not being able to watch Manchester United is bad enough, but not being able to watch any EPL match is abysmal. Of course, I can go to that cable TV representative office and ask for a subscription anytime. It's just that I have more pressing matters on which to spend my money to.

But then, something happened. This godsend came in the form of reruns. It was not many, only two matches per week (three, if you count Arsenal TV, but I don't watch Arsenal unless they lose or tie, which is, sadly, not that often), but let me tell you something. Once you lost something and had no hope of getting it back, the time that "something" was given to you, even though it's just a scrap of what it used to be, you'd find yourself being more grateful than you could possibly be under normal circumstances. In other words, I'm very thankful that I can at least watch some Premier League.

The drawback would be that I would already know how the matches ended, which is more or less takes the fun of it, especially when the team I rooted for lost. But again, it's better than nothing. And now if you'll excuse me, I've got Portsmouth vs. Everton to watch.

0 comments: