Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Too Much Love Will Kill You

I squealed when I heard that Hana Yori Dango made it to the big screen. As a fan of the series, I was looking forward to it. Maybe I wouldn’t get to watch it until the DVD is released. But for the time being, I decided to surf the internet and tried looking for some review.

Thankfully, Random Curiosity, which is the best blog about anime (and few doramas) out there, provided review as lengthy as I could expect. At first, it sounded quite promising. It seems that everyone who loves the series would have themselves ambushed with a sense of nostalgia watching the movie, which is good. But then, as I went further to the spoilery part of the review, a weird sensation started creep over me. It’s called nausea.

Hana Yori Dango Final follows the common pattern of every other romantic comedy on earth (or any of its predecessors for that matter; the TV series, I mean). A boy and a girl (or a man and a woman) having had to go through all adversities before realizing that they loved each other and finally living happily ever after. The problem is since Tsukushi and Tsukasa had already been an item, the adversities were limited to looking for something that they’d lost in Las Vegas and Hong Kong and being stranded in an uninhabited island. There’s no love-hate or we’re-cool-but-that’s-all or I-like-you-but-I-don’t-know-how-you-feel relationships. You know, the kind of thing you see in When Harry Met Sally or While You Were Sleeping (two of my all time favorite romantic comedies).

In their places, present all that stuff about is-he-the-one, are-we-destined-to-be-together, what’s-my/your-most-precious. I’m sorry, it’s just too much for me. The lovey-dovey stuff is so excessive (at least that’s the impression I got from the review) that I want to throw up. That’s why I never like Titanic or Romeo+Juliet.

But hey, look at the bright side. At least the ever-so-charming Matsumoto Jun starred it. That’s more than enough reason to watch Hana Yori Dango Final.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmm, I don't know if my summary was a bit vague in that area, but there was a fair bit of "love-hate" and "I-love-you-but-you-seem-to-have-doubts" throughout the entire movie. There were several occasions where things looked pretty grim for Tsukushi and Tsukasa's relationship, and only near the end did it turn for a better with that "we're-destined-for-each-other" feeling.

Hopefully I didn't inadvertently sway you away from the movie prematurely. I don't think it'll make you gag if you aren't into that "lovey-dovey" stuff, so I'd still recommend watching it since you're a fan of the series.

Reni said...

I think I'll watch the movie in the end, no matter what, because I'm still curious to see how it's all going to end, despite having read your review.

Thanks anyway...