Friday, April 17, 2009

Top Five Movies I'm Dying to See

I'm really into Facebook's lists of five lately. You know--five favorite footballers (the older Neville, Giggsy, Keano, Brad Friedel, Franco Baresi), top five albums (OK Computer, What's the Story Morning Glory, Think Tank, The Bends, Pablo Honey), five favorite books (The Alchemist, Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu, Good Omens, The Black Swan, Virus of the Mind), five favorite beers (they forget that some people don't drink). But Facebook doesn't have a "top five movies one's dying to see" list. Or rather, nobody hasn't made one yet. That being the case, I'll make one myself. Those movies are:

1) Dancers in the Dark
Bjork's first and last movie, playing as Selma, its main character. It's a musical of some sort (one of its soundtracks is "I Have Seen It All" featuring Bjork and Thom Yorke; the song appeared in Bjork's abum/the movie's soundtrack Selmasongs). LFM had this movie played in our campus's theater and a friend of mine (Umi, wherever you are, I wish you a happy life with your frogs) was full of praises about it. She said something along the lines of "You can never be sure whether to laugh or sing, watching it". And since she's one of the few people whose judgment on movies I can really count on, I believed (and still do) her. I couldn't watch the movie at that time (it was a Saturday night, I remember) because I had to attend this extremely lame organizational leadership workshop. I didn't even remember what it's all about. What I can recall is my being sleepy throughout the talks (yes, talks). Gosh, I digress, as usual. Well, the point is, my friend's words got into me. The problem is, you can't get the movie anywhere because it's been about eight years since the release, and the movie being not being a mainstream thing means you would never find it in Kota Kembang either.

2) Clueless
It's one of the iconic movies of the nineties (colorful dresses, extensive use of cell phones, a particular way of talking, etc). The story is rather typical, about the life of a beautiful, rich, highly popular Beverly Hills teenage girl. This movie got a good review from MTV and since I was pretty much addicted to MTV at that time, I felt that I got to check this one out. Never did. I did go to a video shop to rent the movie but couldn't get a copy because it's broken down for being played too many times.

3) In the Mood for Love
The only Asian movie on the list. A Wong Kar Wai (did I spell his name correctly?) film, starring Tony Leung and Maggie Cheung (both of whom I simply adore for their acting, and in Mr. Leung's case, his good looks, too :D). I've watched the sequel, 2046, which contained some "flashbacks" from In the Mood for Love. Because it's Wong Kar Wai, it would surely be hard to comprehend at times, but I want to give it a shot (my personal favorite from Wong Kar Wai is Chungking Express, which was not that hard to understand, really).

4) St. Elmo's Fire
Now is the perfect time for me to watch this particular movie. It's about some young adults trying to cope with their new life, new responsibilities upon graduating from college. I'm still in that "soul searching" phase right now, pretty much like the characters in that movie, so I'm positively sure I can relate to them (and thus, enjoy the movie). Again, this is an old material, so I doubt I'd be able to watch it anytime soon (if ever).

5) Empire of the Sun
This one was a Steven Spielberg movie starring a young Christian Bale and the actor playing as Indy's sidekick in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (I think). It's about Japanese invasion in China seen from the eyes of an English boy. Japanese invasion, World War II, sounds like the kind of movie that I'd enjoy.

2 comments:

Hanum said...

you could download it off the net..
been wanting to see dancers in the dark also.. i'll let you know if i get a copy..

Reni said...

Well, yes, I can do that, but I haven't found a warnet with internet connection fast enough to downloa a movie. Downloading it at home is out of the question since I use dial up.

Sure, I'll let you know :D.